Regarding Events, Conferences, and Prizes
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
This Privacy Notice applies to the California Institute of Technology’s Division of Engineering and Applied Science (EAS) collection, use, retention, and processing of personal information in connection with events, conferences, and prizes (includes scholarships, grants, fellowships and awards). Personal information is any information that identifies or can be used to identify an individual (Personal Information).
Collection of Personal Information
EAS may collect Personal Information from or about you in a number of ways. For instance, Personal Information is collected when you voluntarily provide us information by communicating information to EAS through telephone, email, or through our website, and for various other purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice. Information may also be collected through surveys and feedback mechanisms. We may collect information from third-party entities that you have requested or authorized to provide information; this may include references, PhD university, employer, or other third-party individuals or entities that may provide information.
The Personal Information that may be collected, includes but is not limited to:
- Contact information, such as name, email or mailing address, and phone or fax numbers;
- Educational information, such as information that can be found on a %li curriculum vitae, resume, or abstract;
- Information regarding your affiliation with Caltech, such as class year or degree major;
- Information regarding your organization affiliation and the organization’s address;
- Information regarding where the user is travelling from to attend an EAS event;
- Accommodation information, such as accessibility needs;
- Employment information, such as company name or job title;
- Financial information, such as credit card information;
- Meal preferences, such as vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal, or gluten free;
- Sensitive information collected with your consent, such as racial or ethnic origin; and
- Demographic information, such as gender.
EAS does not automatically collect personally identifiable information about visitors via this website other than the visitor’s IP address.
Purpose for which Personal Information is Collected and Processed
The purpose for collecting Personal Information from you includes but is not limited to the following:
- Planning, facilitating, and promoting events and visits for visitors;
- Awarding prizes to exceptional researchers;
- Providing accommodations at events;
- Maintaining records; and
- Managing administrative functions.
Recipients of Your Personal Information
For the purposes referred to in this Privacy Notice and relying on the bases for processing as set out above, we may share your Personal Information with certain third parties, such as to carry out a contract or meet legal or regulatory obligations.
Users Located in the European Economic Area
If you reside within the European Union or the European Economic Area (consisting of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, and Norway), please click here for additional information regarding rights and protections that apply to you under the General Data Protection Regulation.